Sunday, August 05, 2007
Rogue Shiite militiamen with Iranian weapons and training launched three-quarters of the attacks that killed or wounded American forces last month in Baghdad, stepping into the void left as Sunni insurgents have been dislodged, a top U.S commander said Sunday.
At the same time, the number of attacks launched by breakaway factions of the Shiite Mahdi Army militia has increased, said Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno, the U.S. second-in-command.
He did not provide a total number of militia attacks. But he said 73 percent of the attacks that wounded or killed U.S. troops last month in Baghdad were launched by Shiite militiamen, nearly double the figure six months earlier.
I am so glad we can be so precise with the figures. Blah. We are gearing up for Cheney's Iranian bombing campaign. The whole Al Qaeda in Iraq thing wasn't working so well anymore since it was revealed many of the foreign fighters were Saudis.
Does anybody in congress or the media have brains or short term memory functions? Every time the Bush administation wants a political shift, they shift blame on who is responsible for Bush's mess in Iraq.
The fact remains that the vast majority of insurgents are not Iranian based, or Al Qaeda based, rather they are Iraqi citizens. Only 135 insurgents captured by US forces are foreign born; half of them Saudis. This story has Dick Cheney's fingerprints all over it. The question is if his Lucy Van Pelt is going to convince Charlie Brown to take one more whack at the football.
Posted by trifecta at 5:29 PM