Wednesday, July 11, 2007

TV Is A Vast Wasteland

I have noticed that since the reality tv phenomena has swept the airwaves, I have been watching more basic cable programs than what is placed on the networks. My favorite shows on cable are Monk, Psych, Eureka, Battlestar Galactica, The Closer, and the Shield.

It's just so tiring to try to get through an episode of 2 and a half men without trying to hurt somebody. CBS claims it's the number one comedy in America. America, what is wrong with you?

I read once that we all think the shows that were out when we were in our formative years are the ones we think were the best. I disagree. The shows in the mid to late 70's when I was a wee tot were the best. Norman Lear produced a bunch of these shows. There were actual comedies on tv that dealt with class, race, gender and social issues in a humorous yet serious way. They were also popular.

Are we devolving as a culture? There was crap back on along time ago, there are no rose colored glasses here. But there seemed to be a healthy mix. All crap, no content makes trifecta only pick and choose shows on cable lately.