Saturday, May 12, 2007



How Could This Happen In A Modern Society?

BERLIN (Reuters) - The decomposed corpse of a German man was found alone in his bed after nearly seven years, police in the western city of Essen said Thursday.

The police said in a statement the man was 59 and unemployed at the time of his death. He most likely died of natural causes on November 30, 2000, the date he received a letter from the Welfare Office found in the apartment, police said.


I ask the question because it seems that it would be pretty hard to do here. If you lived in a house, they would come by because you aren't paying property taxes. If you were in an apartment, you couldn't easily skate on 7 years of rent. How can a society lose track of somebody in an apartment for seven years without somebody noticing? There were a couple of really frisky Jehovah's Witnesses, who probably would have broken into my place to pray for my living room if I didn't open my door.

Seven years just amazes me. It's also hurtful to think that nobody cared, smelled anything, or wondered why nobody opened that door. We are living in a smaller world I am told. Is our humanity shrinking at the same pace?